Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Only Chocolate Cake Recipe You'll Ever Need



In my About Me section, I mentioned that my mother-in-law makes an absolutely delicious chocolate cake that I have fallen in love with...

I actually had to marry Mr. Vittles in order to get this recipe.

No no, just kidding - in reality it was given over quite willingly and was not the reason for our nuptials :)

But even if it was, it might have been worth it.

Exhibit A:  I made this cake for my stepdad Chris Vittles' birthday about a month ago.  And during a completely unrelated phone conversation we had this week, he sneaked in a very subtle comment in regards to this cake.

"Boy, I sure did like that chocolate cake you made..."   

Well, lucky for C. Vittles, when it comes to my treats flattery gets you everywhere.  So I told him that I could probably make it again... someday.  And it just so happens that when I made my Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosted Cupcakes yesterday, I had a decent amount of frosting leftover and nothing to do with it.

Welcome to "someday," my friends.

Now let's just have a brief moment of honesty together.  Since I had already technically made two batters for the cupcakes by that point, I was not really thrilled with the thought of baking something else.  (Mr. V. walked in from the gym and said it looked like a bakery in our kitchen.)  But... never one to waste anything chocolate, I decided to take one for the team and make 'a halfer' of Pammy Vittles' chocolate cake recipe.  Luckily it's super simple to make, and its super scrumptiousness outweighs any expenditure of effort anyway!  In the words of P.V. herself, "Great cake, very easy."

So... while I only made an 8" square cake in this instance to go with my leftover frosting, I will share with you the full recipe to make either a 9"x13" sheet cake or two 9" rounds for a layer cake. 

Totally delicious either way.  And you didn't even have to marry anyone to get it!  Just try not to eat it all in one sitting, ok?

The Only Chocolate Cake Recipe You'll Ever Need

  • 1 3/4 C. flour
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 3/4 C. cocoa
  • 1 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C. milk
  • 1/2 C. vegetable oil
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 C. boiling water
  •  
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees & boil water.

    Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients, except water, and beat with an electric mixer 2 minutes.

    Remove bowl from mixer and stir in boiling water by hand until incorporated.  Batter will be very thin.  Pour into two greased & floured 9" round pans, or one 9"x13" pan.

    Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.  Cool ten minutes on wire rack & remove from pan if making a layer cake.  Cool cake completely before icing.

    Note: Now there is no frosting "recipe" with this cake.  Pammy Vittles uses a chocolate frosting & starts with a softened stick of butter, adding unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar, milk and a little salt until she gets it to the taste & consistency she wants.  Which is what I typically do as well, but of course in this case I used the Chocolate Peanut Butter frosting. Or, you may already have a favorite of your own! :)

    Update 4/7/13: I was just informed by a reader that this recipe is originally from Hershey's! Never knew that, apparently it is/was on their cocoa can :) Thanks for the info!

    9 comments:

    1. best chocolate cake i ever ate c.v.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I made this its AMAZING!! i made a white choc frosting it is addictive!!!!
      Thankyou sooooo much for the recipe!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'v made that chocolate cake for years it is the best. its on the hershey cocoa can'
        I made that chocolate cake for years ,it is the best it s on the hershey cocoa can






        Delete
    3. If you are looking for online tuition in Delhi for your kids, take 1-on-1 live tuition in Delhi from Ziyyara. We have a pool of experienced online tutors who have expertise in their niche.
      Call us for Free Demo :- +91-9654271931
      Get Free Demo:- https://ziyyara.in/free-registration

      ReplyDelete

    I love reading your comments!

    If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...