Thursday, January 13, 2011

Coconut Tres Leches Hot Chocolate


The day before my foot surgery, I ate the strangest assortment of foods because I knew I wasn't going to be able to get/make certain things for a while.

We don't have Jamba Juice around here, but I love their smoothies.  I was about an hour away from home for work, and I saw a Jamba Juice so I got a smoothie.

I also got an Auntie Anne's salted pretzel.

I know, those two foods alone probably made up my entire recommended calorie intake for the day... but I then went on to eat dinner.

And after dinner, I made this hot cocoa.

Don't judge me, ok?

I was so excited to drink it that I didn't even wait for it to cool before I put the whipped cream on and snapped some pictures.

Normally I try so hard to take nice pictures for you, but that's why the whipped cream is totally melted in the photo.

That's also why I experienced something that has never happened in my near-28 years on this earth.

Have you ever not waited for a hot food or beverage to cool properly and burned the $#*% out of your tongue?

(Unless you're some kind of alien or have supreme powers of self-control, I'm pretty sure you have.)

But have you ever actually burned the inside of your throat?

Until last week, I hadn't.  But this drink was so hot that it not only burned my mouth, I swear it burned halfway down my esophagus.

I don't even know if that's medically possible, but that's certainly what it felt like.

My point being - this cocoa is really, really good.  But please, for the sake of your internal organs - wait for it to cool before drinking.  :)

Coconut Tres Leches Hot Chocolate
  • 3 C. fat free milk
  • 1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 of a 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (2/3 C.)
  • 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • whipped cream (optional)
In medium saucepan, combine milks.  Over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.  Whisk in cocoa powder until well combined.  Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla.  Serve in mugs, with whipped cream if desired. 

Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens
online

12 comments:

  1. You had a bit of everything on that day :). I have burnt the back of my throat with hot chocolate...you're not alone...it hurts like beast! :)
    But your version of hot chocolate sounds so good... wish I had some coconut milk right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah geez! This is got my organs ready for the burn :) I am loving the way this cocoa is sounding!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! There has never been a time that I HAVEN'T burnt the $$%^& out of my mouth on hot chocolate! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have burned my throat, its a terrible feeling. But it looks like this hot chocolate is worth. I`m going to go search my cupboards for condensed milk now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if our Chocolate Coconut Acolyte would like this sort of drink?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds DELICIOUS! And no, I have never burned the side of my throat!!! YIKES :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great twist with the coconut milk (will make sure the take your advice on the cooling - hope your mouth and foot recover nicely)! Gotta admit I'm a Jamba Juice junkie too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! I have no patience waiting for hot drinks to cool! I'm always burning my tongue...and have burned my throat before...not fun!

    I hope you recover quickly from your foot surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these for the little guy as a special treat. He kept complaining that it was too hot (even though it was lukewarm). But I thought that it was awesome! Perfect amount of sweetness and just a hint of coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love tres leches! thanks for sharing this recipe. i just made tres leches yesterday! one of my favorites! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...