Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Cake


So I like to think I've been around the block and back with baking... but I have to admit, this cake kinda threw me for a loop. 

I am used to creaming the butter and sugar, then adding the wet ingredients.  But this cake barely has any butter (no oil either) and the sugar gets treated like a 'dry' ingredient.

Hmm.  So what gives?

I read up on this method of baking cakes, and apparently it yields a shorter cake but one that's more tender and velvety.

Umm...I can get down with that. 

Especially when it's slathered in chocolate and peanut butter. 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Cake

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • pinch salt
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 1 C. flour
  • 1/2 C. milk
  • 1 T. butter, melted
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 C. peanut butter
  • 2 T. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 C. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 C. milk chocolate chips
  • 1/4 C. heavy cream
Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Grease 8" square metal pan.

In small bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.  Whisk to distribute ingredients evenly.  In separate large mixing bowl, beat eggs on medium-high until lemon-colored.  Add milk and butter, and whisk together. 

Add dry ingredients and stir briefly to combine, then increase speed to medium and mix about one minute more.  Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes - do not overbake.

While cake is baking, blend powdered sugar into peanut butter until fluffy.  When cake is finished baking, spread peanut butter mixture evenly over top and refrigerate 30 minutes until set.

Then combine chocolate chips with heavy cream in microwave-safe bowl or large measuring cup.  Heat in 20 second intervals, stirring after each, until mixture is smooth.  Pour over cake and use spatula to spread evenly.

Refrigerate aboute an hour or until chocolate is set and serve.  Keep leftovers refrigerated.

Recipe Adapted from Allrecipes.com

9 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with a cooking method that gives such a dreamy texture and flavor combo. Delicious! Looks like a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good but I think I'd add even more chocolate myself but I'm a bit biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can get down with that too...lol. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I can totally see my family going to town on this cake, which is always a plus in my book! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am down for a short cake - makes it more me sized. This sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS Linky Party we are featuring CHOCOLATE… CHOCOLATE… and MORE CHOCOLATE. We would love to have you link up any great chocolate recipe!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-weeks-cravings-21-chocolate-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. Apparently a new style of cake baking turned out well for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...