Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sweet Lemon Waffles


I love sunny, weekend mornings. 

To wake up on Saturday and see the sun streaming through the blinds always puts me in a good mood.

Unfortunately, Mr. Vittles only shares this feeling with me one day a week.  He works Sundays March through September.  So on Saturdays, he usually gets up super early to make the most of his day.  Which means that even when I wake up in a good mood (like yesterday) big weekend breakfasts are usually not in the cards.

But yesterday I was really feeling like some waffles, so I decided... why not have breakfast for dinner?

I happen to like my waffles sweet & crispy, so I adapted Mark Bittman's basic waffles to include more sugar and also lemon & coconut milk - Mr. V said they tasted like fortune cookies!  He put real maple syrup on his, but I opted for fresh whipped cream & strawberrries.

Sugar, lemon, whipped cream, strawberries.... whooo-eee!

Ok, so maybe it was more like having dessert for dinner?

Sweet Lemon Waffles
 
  • 1 1/2 C. flour
  • 2 1/4 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 C. milk
  • 1/2 C. coconut milk
  • 1 t. lemon zest
  • 1 t. lemon juice
  • 4 T. butter, melted & cooled
 
Preheat waffle iron.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour through sugar).  In small bowl, whisk eggs with milks, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add butter and whisk to combine. 

Make a well in dry ingredients, then pour in wet.  Mix just until dry ingredients become wet - do not overmix.  Grease waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions.  Makes 3-6" waffles.

Recipe Adapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything"

7 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss my waffle maker. I might just have to buy one to eat these. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mornings like that! My guy works out on the road and having breakfast or any meal together for that matter happens on rare occasions but when it does we make the most of it. This would be a great breakfast for one of those mornings! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut and lemon sounds like an awesome combination for waffles. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these sound amazing. I love lemon anything, but I've never thought to add it to waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How different, and I am a LEMON LOVER:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The BF and I share an odd morning schedule where the days I can he cant and likewise, so when I do make waffles I make them in big batches and freeze them so he can make them when he is in the mood (and not running too late for work) to enjoy them.
    These may have to get stuck in the freezer as part of the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love breakfast for dinner - waffles can be too sweet first thing - and you are right these would be more like dessert for dinner but oh so yumm! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...