Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crunchy Granola Bites


Do you like granola bars?

I do, but unless you get some expensive organic brand, you probably don't like what you see on the side of the box.

You know, the likes of high fructose corn syrup...  partially hydrogenated oil.... artificial flavoring...

Ech.  Not ideal for a supposedly "healthy" breakfast or snack.

My friend, Super Mom Natalie, already shared with you her fabulous recipe for granola, but sometimes I want something that doesn't require a bowl.

Something I can easily grab and eat on the go.

Like a granola bar.  But without all that bad stuff.

So that's why I made these.  They are full of wholesome goodies like oatmeal, flax seeds, almonds, and pumpkin seeds, and wheat germ.

Also, if you're feeling crazy, they are easily customizable to whatever you're craving at the moment.  Raisins, cranberries, pecans, mini chocolate chips (I won't tell if you won't!), sesame seeds - anything your little heart desires.

But nooo hydrogenated oils or corn syrup in these bad boys.

And they're more fun than a granola bar because they are bite-sized.


Everything is more fun when it's mini :)

Crunchy Granola Bites

  • 1 1/2 C. old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 C. flax seeds
  • 1/4 C. sliced almonds
  • 1/4 C. pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 C. shredded coconut
  • 1/4 C. wheat germ
  • 2 T. blonde coconut palm sugar (or light brown sugar is fine)
  • 1 T. molasses
  • 2 T. honey
  • 1 T. agave nectar
  • 1 T. almond butter
  • 4 T. Earth Balance spread (or butter)
  • 2 t. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 - 1/4 t. salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin tin and set aside.

Combine oats, flax seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, and wheat germ on a rimmed baking sheet and spread into an even layer.  Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 6 or 7 minutes, until ingredients are lightly toasted.

Meanwhile, combine sugar, honey, molasses, agave, almond butter, and Earth Balance spread in a small saucepan on stove.  Heat over medium-low, stirring until melted, and bring to a gentle simmer.  Stir occasionally, lowering heat if necessary to prevent burning, until oats are done.

Empty oat mixture from baking sheet into a bowl, and stir.  Remove sugar syrup from stove, and add vanilla and salt.  Pour syrup over oats in bowl, and stir to coat mixture well.

Increase oven heat to 325 degrees, then divide granola mixture among cups of prepared mini-muffin tin (I used a small cookie dough scoop to distribute evenly).  Press mixture firmly into cups - you want the mixture to adhere to itself, otherwise you'll just end up with cups of loose granola!

Bake in pre-heated oven for 13-15 minutes until golden.  Let bites sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on wire rack.

Original Recipe

12 comments:

  1. I have got to make these ASAP!! Crunchy granola is the key to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are a great snack for hiking and backpacking too. We are always looking for "portable" snacks that please adult and kids. Love all the wholesome ingredients too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I love homemade granola, but haven't made granola bars or bites :) This sounds like a great recipe to try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! Love that you can switch the up and make them anyway you want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumola these are super healthy. The challenge for me would be to not overeat these bite sized beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crunchier the better! :) I always make my own... I refuse to pay so much for something that is so easy to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your balance of ingredients in these granola bites, and the idea that you can tweak it to what you're craving! Choc chips and more coconut for me, then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HEART granola! Your bites looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, following from the Wandering Wednesday Hop! Hope you'll visit me at http://everythingbeautifulinitstime.com! Those bites look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I <3 granola but I hate what they shove in the prepackaged bars! These bite sized treasures sound awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! I was wondering if you could make them in to a cookie? I had a cookie that looked like this and had all of these ingredients. I know they used whole wheat flour and eggs but wouldn't know how to incorporate that? Do you have any ideas? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably make them in a regular muffin tin, they would be bigger & round like a cookie. Were they ones you had crunchy, or chewy? I have another recipe for chewy, cookie-like breakfast granola bars that uses flour: http://vittlesandbits.blogspot.com/2012/04/oatmeal-raisin-breakfast-bars.html

      Delete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...