Monday, February 27, 2012

Bacon, Lettuce & Granny Smith Apple Sandwiches with Goat Cheese


Besides having a break from cooking, I love going out to eat because I usually end up getting so many new ideas.

Recently I was inspired by an appetizer we had, to make the recipe for Cheesy Bacon Oven Chips.

And now this idea came from another local pub we like, called the Brickwall Tavern.  A while ago, I tried their bacon, avocado, and granny smith apple sandwich, with a lemon aioli.

And fell in love.

Honestly, I would never have thought of adding granny smith apples to a bacon sandwich, but it was soooo good.

However, as much as I love avocados, in this instance I felt like that was a little much.  (Though you might disagree).  The aioli was good too, but I thought the only thing better would be some lemon & garlic-spiked goat cheese!

People, let me tell you.  The result was heaven between two slices of bread.


(I am pretty much obsessed with goat cheese.  If you don't like the addition of lemon and/or garlic, just use plain- it will still be amazing.)

Mr. Vittles prefers a plain ol' "BL" so he did not partake in this concoction.  But I savored every single bite.

And that night I tried a new nitrate-free bacon, which did not have as many slices in the package.  So we only got three sandwiches out of it - two for Mr. V, and one for me.

I was quite sad that there was no bacon left.

:(

I would've liked to have leftovers for another sandwich the next day.

:( :(

Oh well.  Guess I'll just be forced to eat the remainder of my goat cheese on salads and crackers!

By the way - since this is so simple, this is not really a recipe but more of an idea.  The amounts are up to you & your tastes!

Bacon, Lettuce & Granny Smith Apple Sandwiches with Goat Cheese

  • whole wheat bread (or whatever kind you prefer)
  • bacon slices, cooked
  • baby lettuce (or spring mix)
  • granny smith apple, sliced into thin rounds
  • softened log of goat cheese
  • lemon juice and/or zest, if desired
  • garlic powder, if desired

Toast bread slices.  (If making flavored goat cheese, mix it with lemon juice/zest and garlic powder in the meantime.)  Spread goat cheese on the toast, and top with bacon, granny smith apple slices, lettuce, and another slice of toast.  Enjoy the fiesta on your taste buds!

10 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious! I frequently add apple slices to my grilled cheese but haven't tried it with apple and bacon. Definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a very similar sandwich, just switching the goat cheese for gouda, and I love it! But now I really want to try it with goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a very similar sandwich, just switching the goat cheese for gouda, and I love it! But now I really want to try it with goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to run out and buy all the ingredients for this right now! Sounds so delicious! I adore goats cheese! Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just in time for lunch too! That's the best kind of sandwich right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo I love this flavor combo! I'm going to have to try this for lunch asap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, looks fantastic! I love apples and goat cheese, and what a great idea to make a BL out of it :) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tart and tangy Granny Smith is the perfect addition to an already sensational sandwich.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...