Saturday, April 27, 2013

Coconut Patty Brownies


I feel like there are not many people out there who like coconut as much as I do, but Mr. Vittles is an exception.

As I told you last year, he loves coconut patties in particular.  I was reminded of this at Easter last month when his mom gave him one of his childhood favorites, a giant coconut egg, and he refused to share with me.  He claimed that she gave it to HIM not "us."

While I highly doubt this (and he did eventually offer me a slice regardless),  I can understand his desire to covet the coconut egg.  Coconut drenched in chocolate - especially of the dark variety - is a magical experience.  Not much can beat it.  Except maybe coconut drenched chocolate... on top of a fudgy brownie.

YES.

Mini Smalls better get ready to love coconut or she's going to have a tough childhood.

But alas, since we don't even have teeth yet, we're still working on things like watered-down peas and bananas.  Though I am happy to report that she has gotten over her aversion to most "1st foods" (except oatmeal - still brings tears to the Mini's eyes) since my last post.

In fact... she turned 6 months this week!

"Who, me?"

Time flies when you're eating coconut patty brownies.  (Which, let's face it, is one & the same as "having fun.")

Coconut Patty Brownies

  • an 8"x8" pan of your favorite brownies (I like this recipe; you could also use a mix)
  • 3 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 C. confectioners sugar
  • 1 1/2 C. loosely packed sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1 1/2 C. chocolate chips 
  • 1 T. coconut oil (optional)

Combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and confectioners sugar in a medium bowl.  Add coconut and mix until evenly distributed.  Using a rubber spatula, spread thinly over surface of cooled brownies.  (If the mixture is too sticky, spray the spatula with a little nonstick spray before spreading).

In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.  (The coconut oil is optional, but imparts a slight coconut flavor & also makes the mixture more runny & therefore easier to pour/spread).  Spread melted mixture over coconut layer.  Allow to set (you may place the brownies in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to speed this up) and cut into small squares.  Makes 16 brownies.

Original Recipe

1 comment:

  1. This is super delicious. It melts in your mouth. The best brownies ever.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...